Seeking Part-Time Research Assistant
(Summer - Fall 2016)
MZ Strategies, LLC, a Richmond, Virginia-based urban planning and policy consulting business, is seeking a Part-Time Research Assistant to provide research, analysis and project support for a nine-month project focused on equitable infrastructure development. This project is being done in coordination with a national philanthropic organization, the US Department of Transportation, and several national non-profits all working to advance infrastructure projects that achieve social equity and environmental benefits, in addition to their core transportation, water or energy functions. As part of this work, MZ Strategies will be organizing workshops in Phoenix, AZ; Denver, CO; Washington, DC and New York, NY. The Research Assistant will work with MZ Strategies to organize these events, conduct research on equitable infrastructure projects (with an anticipated focus on transit-oriented development), develop a summary of findings from the regional workshops, and prepare a set of policy recommendations for urban planners, elected officials and other key public decision makers.
Applicants should have or are working on an advanced planning degree in transportation, housing, urban economics or comparable issue area. Strong writing and research skills, and the ability to effectively manage time and work independently are required. An understanding of the elements and issues surrounding sustainable and equitable community development is highly desirable. Preference is for applicants with experience in design and database software applications, and with good organizational or project management abilities.
MZ Strategies, LLC is a woman-owned small business providing consulting services on a range of planning and policy issues to communities across the country. We work both directly with local public agencies and non-profits on place-based project work, and also at the federal policy level with national non-profits and philanthropic organizations working to reform federal programs and capital markets to promote equitable development. More information on MZ Strategies -- including recent projects and publications -- can be found at www.mzstrategies.com
Working Conditions and Compensation
· Majority of work will be done via telecommuting. Periodic project meetings and possible travel to attend 1-2 workshops
· Approximately 5 – 7 hours of work per week, May 2016 through December 2016.
· Contract position paying $14 - $18/ hour depending on qualifications. No benefits are provided. Any required travel costs will be reimbursed by MZ Strategies.
· Send cover letter and resume to Mariia Zimmerman, Principal at Mariia@MZStrategies.com and indicate RESEARCH ASSISTANT in the subject line of your email.
· Applications are reviewed as received. No phone calls, please. Only finalists will be contacted.